Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Observing Surgery

A big surprise to me on board the ship was the fact that crew are able to view surgeries for a certain time slot. It can be really any surgery, it just matters what is going on at the time! The first surgery I witnessed was a hernia repair on an 8 year boy followed by a hernia repair on an older gentleman. This was then followed by a palate surgery which itself was followed by a sebaceous cyst extraction! The doctors were very kind and allowed me to get very close (without touching anything of course), and even explained what was going on throughout the surgery. It really blew my mind that these surgeons are paying to work on board the ship and do not receive any form of payment. The amount of joy they take in working on board the ship is inspiring and really drives me to want to continue my journey into medicine.
It is my belief that almost anyone who wants to study medicine does so not to make lots of money or gain the prestigious title of M.D, but to really change peoples lives both physically and mentally for the better; to have direct/positive impact on the mental and physical well being of another human being. In my opinion, the physicians on board this ship are acting this out to an extreme degree by not only not expecting a pay cheque, but funding their own trip and crew fees in order to perform these surgeries! An extremely inspiring group of men and women.

Thank you all for reading my blog!

Here is a rare/my only selfie in a mirror taken prior to heading into the operating theatre:

No comments:

Post a Comment